Jim West was born on April 1, 1945, in Seattle, Washington. He was raised and catechized in the Lutheran Church of America, but came to a saving knowledge of Christ at his home in Canoga Park, CA, in 1965.
After leaving the Lutheran Church, he attended the now defunct Chapel in the Canyon in Chatsworth, CA. When he became Reformed in doctrine, he joined the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod in Canoga Park (where he studied under care of Presbytery).
Shortly after his conversion he determined that the Lord was calling him to the Gospel ministry. So, he enrolled in the Reformed Theological College in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. After one year, he transferred to Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1970, where he graduated in 1972.
In 1971 he married Elaine Kaye Stanley of Lakewood, CA. The Lord has blessed him with three children: Joel, Jonathan, and Ruthanna.
His first pastoral charge (after being ordained by the Mid-Atlantic Presbytery of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church) was assistant pastor at the Knox Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Silver Spring, MD. From there he ministered for eight years outside the bounds of Presbytery in San Jose, CA, at Grace Community Church (which is now Covenant Orthodox Presbyterian Church).
He has served two pastorates in the Reformed Church in the United States: the first was at the Ebenezer Reformed Church in Shafter, California, where he served from May 1983 to September, 1986. Since September 1986, he has pastored the Covenant Reformed Church in Sacramento, California.